What is Nilvein?
Nilvein is my main Dungeons & Dragons campaign. Like all good campaigns, its house-ruled all to hell from the ground up, starting with the Original 1974 Little Brown Books and then taking rules, interpretations, and procedures from every edition moving forward, and then liberally sprinkled with house rules and advice from the bloggers in the OSR scene.
Primarily, play takes place inside a Megadungeon called Nilvein (or DEMON CASTLE NILVEIN when I wish my campaign was a japanese import cartridge). It’s equal parts Gormenghast, Dying Earth, and Castlevania.
Someday, I’d like to make this campaign an open-table game, but until I’ve got the time and resources, this is just where I’ll store and collect my campaign’s house rules for new players and anyone else interested.
You can use the tags at the top of this post to navigate to all the entries about Nilvein. Some of them will be blog posts, others will just be wiki entries that won’t show up in the normal blog roll, not being meaty enough for a post themselves, but I need them just for reference.
- Nilvein will link to all posts about Nilvein, as well as all the “wiki” entries that haven’t been posted on the blog yet. Essentially, everything about Nilvein ever will show up here.
- Nilvein Wiki will specifically link to entries about Nilvein that have not been posted to the blog. Oftentimes these are scraps that are waiting to get meaty enough to be blog-worthy, or they’re only of interest to me and my players so they’re sitting here for now. It’s almost like a “drafts” view of Nilvein content.
- House Rules This will bring up all posts (Nilvein related or not) that have to do with house rules for my games. Combat rules, poison rules, rules for spellcasting, that kind of thing. If necessary, later I’ll make this “Nilvein house rules” to differentiate.
- Classes Is my house rules for each class in Nilvein.
- Monsters These aren’t Nilvein specific (though if it becomes important I’ll break it out), these are just all posts about Monsters I’ve made.
- Nilvein Gazetteer these are locations specific to Nilvein.
- Magic items is any magic items I’ve created, some of these will be blog posts but probably many of them won’t be.
- Dungeons of Nilvein is exactly what it sounds like, though this may become “Castle Nilvein” at some point since Nilvein is indeed a megadungeon.
- Recommended Reading these are just posts that I think are important to me and my game from outside sources (much like the Links & Inspiration below).
The upper floors of Nilvein seen from the road.
Links & Inspiration
If you want to read more about where I’m getting a lot of inspiration for this campaign, feel free to check out: