Below are a list of links that I find fun or useful or beautiful or weird or interesting.
- Laser Walker’s iOS Games Worth Playing. I return to this list over and over and over. There’s great recommendations on here for pretty much anyone.
- Neuaismea. I stumbled on this by digging through href.cool and I don’t really know what it is but it looks like illustrations of an exploration of a digital and abandoned space, which is basically my favorite thing.
- The Cowardice of Incremental Modifiers is an article I come back to over and over and over. It’s about making your player’s actions count, which is something that I’m constantly thinking about.
- Philotomy’s Musings. What’s beautiful about D&D74 to me is that you have to interpret it. It’s unfinished, poorly edited, poorly laid out. The thing is a mess. You need to bring something to the table to make it work. Philotomy’s Musings are a great example of this, one that brings out the beauty of the original game. Highly recommended.
- Text Only Websites. I kind of love plain text and hypertext only websites, here’s a great list of them.
- Problem-Solving Combat: Breaking the Cage of ‘Roll Initiative’. This article really gets to the core of something I’ve been thinking about for a long time. Always worth revisiting.
- Marjin’s Linkroll. An amazing collections of weird and wonderful links.
- Convergent Storytelling in Elf Games. Great advice on creating useful lore in rpgs.
- Href.cool is another great repository of strange links.
- Meditations on Moloch.
- 0_abyssalSomewhere. A strange ruined landscape to explore. I love this kind of game. A lot of emptiness.
- Null.hack is my cyberpunk ruleset for Mothership that I tinker with when I have a free moment. Totally an unfinished work-in-progress.
I’ve gone through a few dozen newsletters over time and a lot of times I end up just skipping them or they pile up in my inbox until eventually I unsubscribe. These four I consistently read enough to recommend whole heartedly.
- The Glatisant Newsletter. Monthly. Curated by Ben Milton of Questing Beast. Ben really does a great job here of collecting interesting topics and linking to people doing amazing work in rpgs. Highly recommended.
- The Hacker Newsletter. Weekly. A lot of tech stuff that I skip, but usually a few interesting projects or science articles a week that I always find inspiring.
- BIG by Matt Stoller. Weekly. This one talks a lot about monopolies and the economy and that kind of thing. Really good analysis and a good amount of history.
Copyright © 2018 Failure Tolerated