The Hall of Sweet Mourning is a One Page-ish Dungeon. Download it here. Here’s the breakdown:
Millenia ago the Fourth Weeping Demon finally succumbed to its eternal sadness, shriveled up and died. Its bones became a temple where the Cult of Sweet Mourning worships. The temple itself is a beacon of desperation and draws the depressed and hopeless to its doorstep unceasingly.
- “A powerful desperate spider lives here feeding off our collected sadness.”
- “The Sweet Mourners never fear any man.”
- “The naked statue looks cold and worn, if only someone would clothe him.”
- “Those who pass through beyond the chapel come back changed.”
- “The Church of Sweet Mourning just feeds off the depressed and afraid, they keep treasure for themselves in a hidden vault somewhere here, I know it!”
- “I feel better whenever I give to the fountain, that’s why I must journey here once a week.”
- “Someone is trapped inside the walls here, forever wandering. They haunt the dreams of those who sleep here.”
- “I once saw the Crying Voice of Many Eyes wash away a pack of wild boars with only the tears from their enlightened sadness.”
- “Those from the church pray to lonely dead people. I wouldn’t touch any of them in that creepy crypt.”
- “A shadow creature stalks these hallways at night, consuming all who are happy.”
- “They’ve hidden treasure in the chapel and they take it out at night and look at it. Those cheap bastards.”
- “The king’s nephew sometimes comes here to pray. They say he is mourning the loss of his sister. Or was it his lover?”
1d6 Random Encounter 1 Sounds of an agonizing cry echo off the walls 2 Wandering beggar 3 1d4 cultists in prayer 4 A grief stricken mother looking for her dead child 5 The masked servant from room 3 6 The walls weep
1. Narthex and Offertory to the Fount of all Tears
HD 1-1, AC Unarmored. Whispered voice.
They have come from all over to allay their fears at the fountain. One of them is a powerful noble who has given up their life or privilege and happiness to find the greater truths of life. Roll on the rumor table. The noble has an adventure hook, but no meaningful possessions.
2. Chapel of Sorrowful Song
HD1, AC as leather. Atk daggers, clubs, and fists. Morale 4. Performatively sad voice.
They are consumed in their grief and if attacked yell out pitiful nothings about the inherent nihilism of all things during combat. If morale breaks they begin crying and begging for you to finish this sad facade of life. (d4 gold pieces on each of them. Many super emo diaries.) They will not let PCs enter room 9.
The Crying Voice of Many Eyes
HD1+1, AC as chain. Atk scepter. Morale 8. Charismatic voice.
Spells: Miranda’s Tearful indignation, Flood of Tears.
Leads the congregation in song and then preaches a sorrowful confession. Laughter or smiling will send them into a flying rage and will command the congregation to attack. Carries the key to room 9.
- Miranda’s Tearful Indignation: Target must save or their eyes fill with tears and their head fill with the saddest memories. Even good memories seem bleak and meaningless in this state. The first round the target is reduced to nothing but sobs. Every continuing round they suffer a -4 to all actions. Saves reduce this to -3, then -2, then -1, and then they gain control of themselves again.
- Flood Of Tears: The caster weeps a literal flood of tears that does d6 damage and disarms all within a 20’ radius. A cacophony of weeping sounds fills the room and wails fill the targets heads. Save for half damage or maintain control of weapon (not both).
3. Dressing Chambers
HD1-1, AC Unarmored. Atk Bitter Bite (save vs poison or fevered chills for 1d6 turns). Cup your hand over your mouth when you talk in their voice.
The masked servant is an acolyte in the cult and cleans up in a delirious state, believing this to be their worthwhile station in life. Needs to be loved.
4. Baptismal Pool of Tears
5. Vault of Good Memories
6. Crypt of the Lonely Ones
Monster of All Destruction
HD4, AC as Unarmored (unless equipped, then AC as plate). Atk +2 fists. Morale 12. Growling voice.
The Monster of All Destruction cannot live in this world and must destroy all things or himself be destroyed. He will scream about the uselessness of the PCs actions through all combat.
Giver of All Hope
HD5, AC as chain. Atk +2 fists. Morale 12. Bright, cheery voice.
The giver of all hope has come through to the other side and will grant the PC’s one wish in exchange that they go on an adventure that will bring hope and happiness to suffering people.
Cursed Items in the Crypt
- Helmet of Mourn-sight: The helmet has no eye holes and only allows the wearer to see the worst of all possible situations. Disadvantage on all rolls. If un-cursed: it allows the wearer advantage on one roll per day and becomes worth 250GP.
- Breastplate of Heartache: This breastplate, adorned with a detailed painting of a heart on the outside gives AC like plate and creates an aching in the wearer’s chest like heartache constantly. On every encounter with an intelligent NPC they roll a d6, on a 1 they believe that character to be the embodiment of their one true love. The death of that character deals the PCs HD in damage to themselves and the breastplate cracks. If un-cursed it will save the PC from a deathly blow once, then splinter and crack and is now worth 400GP.
- Eternal Chastity Belt: This chastity belt glows a bright gold and if worn gives the PC -4 CHA and they can no longer engage in intercourse. The belt is not removable. If uncursed it will give the PC a +10 to one check with a member of their sexual preference on any role involving their relationship and is now worth 150GP.
- Ring of the Unwed: Wearers of this crystal band and black diamond are cursed to go through life without a true mate. They can accept and retain no followers and hirelings will only work with them for double pay. They even seem to piss off the party. If uncursed it will grant a one time bonus to gaining a retainer at +4 and is now worth 175GP.
- The Grey Veil: Those who don this cobweb veil become disinterested in the reality of life and cannot run away from combat or danger if they have already decided to engage in it, not seeing the point between life or death. If uncursed the veil can defend against one evil gaze effect before dissolving and is now worth 100GP.
- Footfall of Lonely Roads: These boots curse the wearer to walk their own path alone. Once per day the PC must roll a d6. On a 1 the PC must walk their own path alone for d20 turns. If uncursed it allows the wearer a bonus to stealth checks and is worth 200GP.
- Glove of the Untouchable: These gloves curse the wearer to not be able to open doors. If uncursed they will open any one locked or secret door (no matter how difficult) before they crumble and are now worth 150GP.
- Heavy Crown: This dull brass crown curses the wearer to not be able to recover from rest at all, too tortured by their depressing dreams. If uncursed it will allow the PC to fully heal from a night’s rest, each time fading until it turns to ash. 4 charges and is now worth 600GP.
- Necklace of Never**: The webbed and fragile string necklace curses the wearer to be afraid of the dark. They must always carry a torch in dark situations and cannot sleep without a campfire (double encounter checks). If uncursed they gain infravision while wearing the necklace and it is now worth 300GP.
7. Silent Hall
HD1+1, AC as leather. Atk +1 rock. Morale 3. Chittering voice.
The Lost One is insane and would much rather escape than fight the PCs. Gibbers a random rumor from the rumor table.
8. The Downward Spiral
Eater of All Good Things
HD5, AC as leather. Atk legs (see below). Morale 12. “shshshshshhshhh” sounds.
The Eater of All Good Things is a giant spider-creature with dozens of legs who hates all people and feeds off their loneliness. Roll randomly to see what leg the creature attacks with. The Eater’s poison sacs (of which there are 3) are worth 200GP to thieves and its fangs can be made into daggers which are worth 100GP to thieves. 20% chance its eyes can be recovered, worth 500GP to MUs.
d12 Attack 2 As club 4-5 Trips PC on a hit 6-7 As sword 8-9 Poison bite 10 PC saves vs. Paralysis or Eater begins to eat them. Auto attack every round thereafter 11 Spell-drain 12 Enthrall
9. Whispering Hallway of Doubt
I’ve been working on a tactical card game called Heartbreaker, for a little over a year now. In it, players each control a dark champion who fight...
From Necropraxis, this makes things semi-easier. This is specifically for my Nilvein campaign. Ability scores generation method? 3d6 in order....
Copyright © 2018 Failure Tolerated